I suggest you ...

Option to Sync without Transcoding

It would be great to allow syncing of content without transcoding it. This is because devices such as the Galaxy S3 / Tab 2 can play 720p and 1080p x.264 without any issue

729 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    FlorianFlorian shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

98 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JeffJeff commented  · 

Please provide option to sync without transcoding. I get the point of the transcoding feature and its great for streaming but there are cases where it makes more sense to have the sync feature to simply copy the original file to the other device. I just signed up for a life time plex pass with the goal of using sync. I have discovered that while in the iOS app, I can select Original (Highest) quality. However, when I tried to initiate the sync from the web interface to that same device, the Highest option is not available. Only High (320kbps) was highest allowed. I have only been using Plex to manage Music at this point. My goal is to have a setup where I have a local Plex Media Server and a Cloud Media Server containing identical libraries. I think I can do this outside of Sync. But I would really like to manage it all via the web interface but forced transcoding is getting in my way.

• Anonymous commented  · 

+ 1, but i would like syncing without transcoding in my iOS devices. Plex mobile apps should handle transcoding in real time. Transcoding before syncing sucks :/ ....

• Kevin CorcoranKevin Corcoran commented  · 

This needs to happen. Give SYNC its own transcode settings!! stop transcoding when you simply want to sync it to another machine.

• AndyAndy commented  · 

hey guys,
        still has not been fixed, not sure why you think this should be closed?! Tried syncing yesterday (Android Plex App) and I still cannot just copy the original files to my phone. Why?

• fuzzz1024fuzzz1024 commented  · 

This must be presented, because it will make syncing more useful!

• AlAl commented  · 

So has there been any update on this? I'm really wishing I had seen this before buying the lifetime pass....

• BrettBrett commented  · 

I need this option please, syncing a few hours before my flight only to find out it will take days to sync on my NAS

• Leah SekulaLeah Sekula commented  · 

I can also confirm I have media which plays fine on my phone when copied manually, but is transcoding when syncing. This is a major issue for me.

• Alex TseAlex Tse commented  · 

Yeah, forced conversion takes like 10x longer to transfer media than if I just copied it. Please give the option to block conversions on sync.

• Вячеслав ИсиченкоВячеслав Исиченко commented  · 

Totally required feature. Don`t understand why it is not implemented yet - simple downloading.
        PlexPass is useless for me without it.

• RobertRobert commented  · 

This is ridiculous. I thought this is what the Original Quality setting would do when syncing content. I bought a lifetime plex pass. I selected Original Quality when syncing and it's running through a conversion before syncing.

*sigh*

Stupid me for thinking 'Original Quality' meant original quality.

• DaveDave commented  · 

This doesn't seem like that complex of a request. Move file A to location B. You're simply asking for LESS processing to be done.

• Anonymous commented  · 

A guy buys a subscription, and then in a lot of uses cases cannot use one of the major features that I was looking for... sigh..

• TyTy commented  · 

This is not completed, I am not sure why this wasn't the first way it worked.

• ZDZD commented  · 

Just purchased plexpas to sync movies to several tablets and found it wanted to transcode them when there is no need for it. It should allow you to just copy the file over without transcoding.

• YogimaxYogimax commented  · 

+1 for this - this should be absolutely standard!

• matthieu Baillymatthieu Bailly commented  · 

I don't know why you don't have the choice to do it !? I could save hours by doing a plain copy without transcoding (My nas is not powerfull) and I don't want to create different ready to go version of movies (Ressource consuming)!

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base